Monday, April 10, 2006

Popule meus, quid feci tibi?
Aut in quo contristavi te?
Responde mihi!
Quia eduxi te de terra Aegypti:
Parasti crucem Salvatori tuo.

O my people, what have I done to you?
Or in what way have I made you sad?
Answer me!
For I have led you from the land of Egypt:
You prepared a cross for your Savior.

Quia eduxi te per desertum quadraginta annis,
et manna cibavi te,
et introuduxi in terram satis optiam:
Parasti crucem Salvatori tuo.

For I led you through the desert for 40 years
and I fed you with manna,
and I led you into a land of plenty:
Your prepared a cross for your Savior.

Quid ultra debui facere tibi, et non feci?
Ego quidem plantavi te vinem meum speciosissimam:
et tu facta es mihi nimis amara:
Aceto namque sitim meam potasti:
et lancea perforasti latus Salvatori tuo.

What else ought I have done for you, and I have not done?
I even planted you as my most precious vine:
and you have become to me exceedingly bitter.
You quenched my thirst with vinegar
and you pierced the side of your Savior with a lance.

I pray that you have a sorrowful Holy Week and a most glorious Easter!
Blessings,
Jenny